When you are completing your first return based on the calendar year, then you must consider choosing either one of the two- The Gross Weight Method or The Unloaded Weight Method so as to calculate the mile tax. You can choose the one that you think will suit you better.
So, after selecting a method, you need to do the following:
- You have to use the same method to calculate the tax every time you file throughout the year.
- Methods once selected cannot be changed until the next or following year.
- You can use it for every vehicle you own.
When you select the Gross Weight Method, it means that the tax calculations in both types of this method should be the same. Moreover, when the heaviest weight option is selected- you need to make the following changes.
Straight Line Option
Here, you need to list all the vehicles- trucks and tractors on which you are paying the taxes. Here, the weight to consider must be more than 18,000 pounds. If you are operating the same in New York with or without the attachment you need to acquire the certificate of registration.
Heaviest Weight Option
If you operate more than one vehicle and travel using all of them on Public highways of the New York State during the reporting period, then you must consider using this option. Here, you will be able to calculate your heavy
highway use tax using the following:
- Gross weight of the heaviest vehicles along with miles traveled using them.
- The unloaded weight of all your vehicles along with the miles you traveled using them.
What is the Unloaded Weight Method?
Unloaded weight refers to the total weight of the vehicle that includes equipment, body, and other attached devices- this is just for the safety purpose. Any truck or auto vehicle having an unloaded weight of more than 8,000 pounds (for trucks) and more than 4,000 pounds (for tractors) is used for HUT.
Video Source: NYSTaxDept
Please Note: You need to choose between the two- Gross Weight Method and Unloaded Weight Method while filing for your HUT returns. However, you may not be able to change the method until the first HUT return for the next or upcoming calendar year.
Vehicles that can avail the Reduced Tax Rates
You can also avail the reduced Highway Use Tax rates in case you have 3 or less vehicles traveling through the state of NY, and they are as follow:
- If you are carrying a Boltwood. If you carry short logs- generally sized between six feet or less, sawed or cut, that are generally used for developing specialized items in the Wood industry.
- Logs carriers- Unshaped timber sized more than 6 feet.
- Pulpwood carriers- generally carried for the paper industry.
- Wood Chips carrier- small and thin generally flat pieces of wood, or flaxes for the board and pulp industry.
- Unprocessed milk carrier
For How Long You Must Keep the Records of the Vehicles?
Remember, you should keep at least 4 years of records for every vehicle that falls under certification of registration. You must also keep the copies of all your tax returns handy.
Your vehicle records should also contain the following information:
- A detailed description of the vehicle.
- Your VIN number.
- Date of acquiring the vehicle.
- Total weight load carried by the truck or tractor.
- Records of any prior vehicle registered under your accountability.
- If your tax is suspended for a particular vehicle, try to record the actual highway mile you traveled.
- Farm vehicles need to keep a record of accurate on-farm mileage of their vehicle.